Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to frequently asked questions relating to the Intellectual Property Rights Office Copyright Registration Service. Please note that this is an archive service, not a legal advice service, and for advice on legal matters you should always consult a qualified IP lawyer in your local jurisdiction. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information in this section is accurate, it should be taken as guidance only and should not be relied upon.
This section includes answers to questions on:
- What can be registered?
- Is the CRS provided for published or unpublished works?
- Can I register an idea for a work?
- Can I register a name/title?
- Who can register works?
- What countries are covered?
- Is my country signed up to the Berne Convention?
- Are registered works protected internationally, or do they have to be registered separately in each country?
- Should I register under my name or my business's name?
- If I am using a name other than my legal name (such as a pen name or my maiden name) what name should I register my work under?
- Why is it advisable to register a work?
- Can works be registered online?
- Can works be registered by post?
- Is there a cost to register a work?
- How can payment be made? Is it secure?
- What currencies are accepted?
- What do I do if my currency isn't accepted?
- Is there a maximum file size?
- How should I prepare a textual file for registration?
- How should I prepare an audio/visual file for registration?
- What kind of files can be registered?
- Can I submit a collection of works as a single registration?
- Can I register a work by submitting a sample, plan, or description?
- If I have lots of files to register, do I have to fill out all my details for each one?
- How soon will my work be protected?
- What happens to my work once it is registered?
- Are my files opened by anyone?
- Are my files checked to make sure they don't contravene existing copyrights?
- How and where can I use the CRS seal?
- Do I have to use a CRS seal?
- Do I receive a certificate of registration?
- Can I get a replacement certificate of registration?
- Can I change my details on a certificate after registration?
- Can I change or update my file after registration?
- Does registration prove my work is unique?
- Does registration prove I created the work in question?
- Does registration guarantee that no-one else will reproduce my work without my consent?
- Does registration guarantee success in any legal disputes relating to the registered work?
- Can I register a work which is already being disputed?
- What happens when the period of registration expires?
- How can I check if a work is registered through the CRS?
- Is there a cost to check a registration?
- What details will be displayed on the CRS website? Are they accessible by anyone?
- Can the registrant's contact details be obtained from the IP Rights Office?
- Can the registered work be accessed online via the CRS or IPRO websites?
- Can I search for all the files registered by a particular company or individual?
- Can the IP Rights Office handle requests for permissions for registered works?
- What can I do if I have registered a work and need more evidence of ownership than is provided by the online verification process?
- How do I retrieve my work?
- For what purposes can I retrieve my work?
- Once I have retrieved my work, does it remain in the archive?
- Is there a limit to the number of times I can retrieve my work?
- Is there a cost to retrieve my work?
- How will my work be returned?
- If I lose my own file, can I retrieve the archived version as a back-up?
- What should I do if someone challenges my ownership of copyright?
- What should I do if I find that someone has misappropriated my work?
- What evidence will the IP Rights Office provide to support my case?
- Will the IP Rights Office represent me or appear in Court on my behalf?
- Will the IP Rights Office initiate legal proceedings on my behalf?
- What is meant by a "CRS account"?
- How do I create a CRS account?
- How do I log into my CRS account?
- What if I forget my login details?
- Can I edit my account details?
- Can I change what details are displayed to the public on my registrations?
- What is the IP Rights Office, and why was it set up?
- How can I get in touch with the IP Rights Office?
- My registered work is going to be published. Does this affect my registration?
- What do I need to do if an employee who has registered works on behalf of the business is leaving the business?
- If I sell my copyright to a registered work, do I need to transfer the registration to the new owner?
- I want to reproduce all or part of a work which has been registered through the CRS - do I need to contact the IP Rights Office for permission?